Inappropriate

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." -Juan Ramon Jiminez

Friday, August 20, 2004

Swept my hair up, hitched my skirt, and ran like a Galapagos.

Cross country, had my first practice today in the gorgeous sunshine with humidity high enough to kill anyone. I suck, considering I haven’t done much over the summer; exercise was limited to walking to the bus stop for summer classes. Coach feels what I think is pity for me; I’m the genius who enters junior year, late by 5 practices, and has no confidence in running whatsoever. It's a sport that doesn’t involve much skill, I believe…you run, and just make sure you don’t get hit by a car, as far as coordination goes. It’s the endurance, however, that tests a true runner.

The only true confidence I’ve ever had in life was violin, starting from an age when humility wasn’t an issue. After spending more than half of my current life on it, and almost all my childhood on practicing, there was nothing to be shy about. I had my rankings, had my good share of pride in the instrument, a greater deal of expectations from the teachers and peers; some random kid running by me asked me, “You’re that violin girl, aren’t you?”

Hah. No name anymore, just “violin girl.”

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home